Getting Our Show on the Road
Well, it’s all coming together now. The cast of our “American Dream” American music showcase is in Cincinnati, and we’re getting ready to take the show to China! Our eight singers and dancers have been learning music and dance steps for the past week, and we’re so impressed with the energy and heart that they bring to this project. Although we’ve only known them for a few days, this cast already feels like family. During the audition process each was chosen not just for his or her talent, but for personality, warmth and excitement. While in China they’ll be representing Cincinnati and the U.S. to choirs and spectators from 70 countries, and we know they’ll do us proud!
While our cast moves quickly through vocals and choreography, our costumers are hard at work altering hundreds of pieces needed for the production. (We feel fortunate to be able to rehearse in Cincinnati’s new School for the Creative & Performing Arts – otherwise known as SCPA. The facilities are first class!) On Thursday, July 15th, we’ll welcome the media and public for a dress rehearsal. We can’t wait to give them a preview of “The American Dream!”
And then… we’re off to Shaoxing, where we’ll perform for participants in the 2010 games, giving them a taste of what’s to come when they visit Cincinnati in 2012.
Want to know more about the World Choir Games in Cincinnati? Here are the basics!
WHAT: The World Choir Games (WCG), the largest choral competition in the world, takes place every two years and is the signature event of INTERKULTUR, a Germany-based organization that produces international choral events. Inspired by the Olympic ideal, the goal of the WCG is to unite people from all nations through singing in peaceful competition.
WHEN: The 2012 World Choir Games will occur July 4-14, 2012.
WHERE: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. This will be the first time the event is held in North America.
WHO: The 2012 World Choir Games is expected to:
- Host 400 choirs from more than 70 countries.
- Bring together 20,000 participants, including performers, staff, delegations and international jury members.
- Deliver up to 200,000 spectators at the WCG events.
DETAILS: There will be 22 different musical genres evaluated by an impartial international jury. Categories include: barbershop (for the first time in the WCG history), folklore, jazz, pop, gospel, spiritual and more.
- Cincinnati USA was selected over 20 cities to host the 2012 World Choir Games.
- This will be the largest and most significant international arts event ever in the history of Cincinnati USA.
- With an estimated 45,000 contracted room nights, this is the largest hotel booking ever by the Cincinnati USA Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- The event is expected to generate $73.5 million in economic impact.
- Hundreds of “Friendship Concerts,” free, public performances by WCG choirs, will take place throughout Cincinnati USA.
FOLLOW US AT: